Is life so busy that you find it impossible to fit exercise into your day?
There is just so much to fit into 24hours isn’t there? Work, study, cooking, cleaning, ferrying kids around….it’s endless! When life gets busy, one of the first things to fall off the list can be exercise and keeping yourself fit. But fear not, there are other ways to get exercise into your day without having to hit the gym.
- Healthy social catch ups – rather than meeting friends for wine/beer after work or at the weekend, meet them for a walk, round of golf, gym class, swim, game of tennis/badminton/squash.
- Back to basics – always take the stairs when there is that option, don’t fall into the trap of using lifts just because everyone else does
- Start ‘walking meetings’ at work. – If there are 2 or 3 of you who have something important to discuss, organise a meeting at a time when you can get your trainers on and walk and talk. You will amazed by the ideas you come up with when you are outside in the fresh air!
- Keep fit at home – There are a huge amount of online fitness programs, videos and computer games which you can find to do in your own home – see what you can find!
- Get to bed earlier and wake up earlier – it can be tempting to stay up late, watch TV and chill on the sofa after a busy day, but if you are able to go to bed a bit earlier, you can then get up a bit earlier you can fit in some exercise at home or a walk before you start the day!
Make sure you are getting your nutrition right at the same time to get the best results! Check out our Nutrition Advice Sheets for more information.
Keeping active is good for your body, mind and soul…and feeling better means happier, healthier living. So, my challenges to you – what are you going to do differently from now on? Choose at least one idea from above and take ACTION!
By Claire Turnbull. NZ Registered Nutritionist, Millennium Institute of Sport & Health. For more information about Claire, visit her website.