10 Ways to Wellness: Healthy Lifestyle Tips & Advice
- Being overweight puts you at greater risk of high blood pressure, high LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and high blood glucose (sugar).
- The normal and healthy body mass index range is from 18.5 to 24.9. Calculate your BMI.
- Limit alcohol consumption. Aim for at least two alcohol-free days a week. Quit smoking.
- Get between six and eight hours of sleep regularly.
- Resist adding salt to meals. Excessive consumption of salt can cause high blood pressure.
- Exercise for 30 minutes a day, at least three to four times a week. If you want to lose weight, daily exercise is recommended.
- Add more incidental exercise to your life – walk, don’t drive; use the stairs instead of the lift; park a few streets from your work and walk the extra blocks.
- Eat five servings of vegetables and two servings of fruit each day. Eating the right amount of fruit and veg can help prevent heart disease, some cancers, obesity and constipation and help improve diabetes control.
- Read the label. Get into the habit of reading the labels on products to establish saturated fat, salt and sugar content.
- And remember: Don’t deprive yourself - banning your favourite foods such as cakes, pizza or beer will only make you crave them more. Instead cut down on treats to once or twice a week.
Read more Featured Articles